Student Organization/Club Sports Unacceptable Products and Services Infringement Reporting
As a national brand, the University of Oregon gives you a premier opportunity to get in on the $4 billion college licensing business. Oregon fans express their support with UO gear while providing the university a steady revenue source to help fund and enhance campus-wide programs.
Word marks, trademarks, logos, and/or symbols associated with the University of Oregon are the intellectual properties of the university and are registered both at the state and federal levels. To protect the intellectual properties and traditions of the university, Brand Management and Trademark Licensing requires all products associated with the university be manufactured by a licensed vendor.
UO licensed vendors have entered into a University of Oregon trademark licensing agreement. Information on the university agreement is available at Fanatics Licensing Management.
A fully executed UO trademark licensing agreement is required to sell product with the university’s trademarks or brand. Unauthorized use constitutes infringement, which can lead to legal action against the infringer.
Have a great idea for a UO logo product? Want to use UO logos for merchandise? Please visit Fanatics Licensing Management and complete the University of Oregon application to introduce yourself and your product(s). Brand Management and Trademark Licensing will review the application to determine whether an agreement will be executed. Some factors considered are uniqueness of the product, existing product distribution channels, sales and marketing plan, experience in the licensed business, and completeness of the application.
Currently, we have licensing contracts with more than 350 manufacturers who benefit from the university’s strong regional appeal and broad base of ongoing local and nationwide alumni support. Contact Brad Hutchins if you have additional questions.
For information on print or web marketing, please contact Marketing Communications.
Brand Management and Trademark Licensing Guidelines
Merchandise Procurement – Due to contractual obligations to the university, all merchandise orders that include apparel, promotional products, and staff apparel must be reviewed by Brand Management and Trademark Licensing.
- Work with a UO licensed vendor for your order. Following is a list of UO licensed vendors who can provide UO branded merchandise exclusively for university departments. Please contact a vendor to discuss custom items for events, conferences, and giveaways. Contacting more than one vendor can provide you with options of products, pricing, and turn-around time.
- Brand Management and Trademark Licensing has provided the Duck Store a license to provide staff apparel for campus units. Please complete the Duck Store Direct to Campus form for more information.
- If you are looking for guidelines on including the Oregon “O” on apparel, email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Designs are submitted to Brand Management and Trademark Licensing for review by the licensed vendor or the Duck Store.
- Once the design is approved, the company will be notified and production can begin.
- Please note that UO’s policies and procedures should be adhered to with all purchases as required with UO Purchasing and Contracting Services.
- If you cannot find a company to source your product or have questions, please contact Brad Hutchins
Use of the University of Oregon’s word marks, trademarks, logos, and/or symbols creates an association with the university that needs to be protected.
- UO Brand Management and Trademark Licensing / Club Sports Trademark Guidelines are available at the UO Club Office in the EMU.
- ASUO student organizations, officially recognized by the university, can procure merchandise and apparel for an event. The student organization requestor must be a registered student of the University of Oregon.
- Word marks and graphics are available with apparel. The “O” mark is not allowed for use by any organization for marketing, advertisement, or identity purposes.
- It is imperative that a licensed vendor is used for production and manufacture of any product bearing the marks of the university. Box below provides a current list of vendors to view and/or print.
- Designs from a licensed vendor are submitted to Brand Management and Trademark Licensing for review.
- Once the design is approved, the company will be notified and production can begin.
- Products are for organization members only.
- Questions: Contact Brad Hutchins.
The University of Oregon will not approve the use of its name or marks to promote the following products:
- Tobacco, controlled substances, sexually oriented products, alcohol, religious products, or games of chance.
- Text or graphics that are judged to be sexually suggestive, denigrating language by any group including another college or university, items that infringe on the marks of other trademark owners on products or services, or endorsement of political candidates.
- Products that do not meet minimum standards of quality and/or taste, are judged to be dangerous or carry high product liability risks.
Additionally, use of a current student athlete’s name or likeness on products is a violation of NCAA rules and can result in the student athlete being declared ineligible. Any use of a student-athlete’s name, nickname, or likeness must be approved by Brand Management and Trademark Licensing and the University of Oregon Athletics Department.
If your intent is to imply a connection with the University of Oregon by using graphics or phrases confusingly similar to the university marks, you are likely to be infringing on our rights.
If you suspect a product as unlicensed, please complete the form below. Provide the website URL or company name and a photo of the product(s).
If your business would like to support the University of Oregon, a corporate partnership with the Ducks can be arranged with Learfield IMG College – Oregon Sports Properties at:
Additional questions or concerns can be forwarded to Brad Hutchins in Brand Management and Trademark Licensing
What is a trademark license?
A trademark license agreement is a contract granting permission to use wordmarks, trademarks, logos, and/or symbols associated with the University of Oregon.
What occurs if a business or sole proprietor does not obtain a trademark license agreement?
Wordmarks, trademarks, logos, and/or symbols associated with the University of Oregon are the intellectual properties of the university. Unauthorized use constitutes infringement, which can lead to legal action against the infringer.
I’m interested in becoming a UO licensee?
Any company producing products with the University of Oregon marks or logos must enter into a UO trademark licensing agreement. The first step is completing an application located at Fanatics Licensing Management. Brand Management and Trademark Licensing will review the application. You will receive an email after the review.
Where can I learn about the requirements to enter into a UO trademark licensing agreement?
Please visit Fanatics Licensing Management to view information on our agreement terms. Specific requirements and restrictions are detailed in the licensee section.
What are the requirements for usage of the “O”?
The University of Oregon’s primary mark is the “O”. The university has an exclusive license agreement granting exclusive use of the Oregon “O” on apparel to its athletic apparel and equipment supplier.
- Oregon apparel licensees have access to the Oregon Logo Guide Sheet for available marks.
- Internal University Groups (organizations, clubs of currently enrolled students; academic departments; alumni association directors; and groups of active university employees) can use the “O” in connection with events (not for resale or fundraising). A UO licensed vendor must be contacted to produce apparel (no headwear).
- UO Club Sports Office can provide Brand Management and Trademark Licensing / Club Sports Trademark Guideline sheets.
How do I order campus staff apparel?
Campus staff apparel should clearly include the university’s “Signature Mark” and the name of the department. A UO licensed vendor or the Duck Store can assist.
How are designs and artwork approved?
An approved UO licensed vendor is familiar with the university marks and logos. To comply with their UO agreement, they will submit the artwork through the university approval system for review. With approval response from Brand Management and Trademark Licensing, they will move forward with production.